
My basil plant has recently developed this thing on the end of one of its "branches." What is it? It's hard to get a good picture of it because it is so small, but it looks like a ton of leaves scrunched together. Is it just a really strange configuration of the leaves, or is it some sort of flower? It has never done this before.


11 comments:
I have no idea what that groth is, Lean Not!
This is actually the first year that I have planted a basil plant myself!
I can't wait to have this mystery solved:)
Ooops... I meant *growth* NOT *groth*.
Sorry about that!
ALIEN BASIL! I have no idea. I am not a basil expert though, we grow it, but no problems here or odd growths.
not 100% sure but I think its a flower bud.
it is getting ready to flower
My basil does this every year at some point.
I think that the comment about it being about to flower is correct. However, at this early stage of the year, I would think that you do not want to let your basil flower.
Once the plant flowers, it will go on to seed. This means that the basil leaves will no longer be as tasty or as tender.
Later on, in the late summer/early fall, when you've harvested all you want, you can let your herbs go to seed if you like. If you are a savvy gardener, you will harvest these seeds to use for starting seedlings next year.
I must say that I have not been that savvy about collecting seeds in my fall garden, particulary when it comes to herbs. But, I hope to correct that this year. I'll have to do some research about how and when to collect the seeds and how to store them.
I also must say that I have cheated and I have used leaves from herbs that have flowered and even gone to seed. Generally, the leaves aren't as high in quality after that point. A true gardener would probably advise you not to follow my bad example.
Anyhow, cut that top back. At least, that's my tentative opinion based on being someone who putters around in the garden without really knowing what I'm doing. :)
Elizabeth
Yes, that is the flower of the basil plant. It is very normal! It means your plant is doing well.
You should cut it off if you want your basil plant to continue growing throughout the season. If you leave the flower on, it will sap the energy from the plant; it will become gangly, which I doubt you want. I usually cut off the flowers along with the first pair of leaves underneath it. It's like giving your plant a haircut!
Whenever I cut the flowers, I usually cut them up and use them in pasta or something. In my opinion they taste pretty much like the rest of the plant and will be good in any dish where you might use fresh basil.
Your basil is about to bloom and set seeds.Pinch this off to prevent early flowering. I would not want seeds unless I had another plant to harvest for cooking. Fresh tomatoes sprinkled with basil and served with slices of fresh monzarella are a wonderful summer dish!
Yes, pinch it back and continue to pinch that flower head back, or your basil plant will focus on growing towards seed and not grow anymore leaves. It will get less and less leaf-y and the leaves will begin to look rather dodgy.
If you are growing it to use (the leaves) then by all means, keep your eye on it...cuz now it just will want to flower!
Don't feel mean about it...just pinch it back to the bottom of the flower and enjoy your tasty basil!
Kimmie
mama to 6
one homemade and 5 adopted
Thank you all so much for all of your help! I really appreciate the time that you took to answer my question. That was great! I don't know where else I would have found such a complete, helpful answer except for the blogosphere. Thank you!
It really helps to know that I need to cut it off. It IS looking much more flower-like now. I will try to take a picture of it to show you, and then I will cut it off.
The plant kind of needs to be cut back, anyway. Basil can really grow like a weed, and it sure demands a lot of water!
That's interesting, may basil, "Basil" is four years old now. I haven't done a thing to him but pinch his leaves off and water him and talk to him when I pinch at him. He flowers every year and has shot up new growth in his pot from those seeds that managed to drop into his pot, yep, he is a bit gangly sometimes but he puts out prodigious amounts of basil. He is a good basil and I appreciate him very much.
Great tips, wish I'd a known, but then, I am a lazy herb gardner.
Post a Comment