On Sunday after church, Mom and I were invited to lunch at the home of a single lady from our church. She has done such a beautiful job with her little house! I think that she has excellent taste. Her home is just gorgeous!I was so impressed by what a sharp lady she is. Even though she has never married, (which is sad, because some man is really missing out!) she has applied herself to homemaking and ladylike things. Everything in her house makes it quite evident that a lady lives there. Everything was beautifully arranged, and each item that she has was carefully chosen. She has a lovely collection of quilts and needlework projects that she has made. The beauty of her house is obviously the result of a ton of hard work. She also prepared an outstanding meal and was quite hospitable in every way.
It was a great example to me that she, an unmarried woman, had still created a ladylike, God-honoring home in which to receive guests and minister to us by practicing godly hospitality. I sometimes think that it would be nice to join "the club" of women who have the opportunity to do all of those things that women like to do. I feel that my heart is in those areas but that I am unable to do much because I am unmarried. And in one way, I cannot deny that this is at least partially true: because I must work full time, obviously some things have got to go.
But I need to be faithful with the opportunities that I do have. This lady has truly honored the Lord with her femininity and her obvious lack of laziness. It was a great reminder to me to take every possible opportunity and use it to its fullest potential. It is exciting to be a lady serving her Lord!

5 comments:
While this post is definitely outside my area of expertise, I heard a program on the radio the other day by Nancy Leigh Demoss that you might be interested in. She was doing a series on hospitality and tried to make it very pertinent to everyone, specifically mentioning singles and those working full time. (She too is unmarried & working.) Go to http://www.reviveourhearts.com/ to read the transcripts. Click on RADIO then REVIVE OUR HEARTS then select the dates. The series went from October 30 to November 8. [Sorry. I deleted the last comment b/c I tried to link directly to Oct 30 but the full link wouldn't show on the screen.]
How wonderful to have such a lovely example of femininity AND hospitality!! What a blessing indeed!
I'm very glad that this lady didn't let "I'm single" stand in the way of showing hospitality. There is so much friendship to be gained when you invite people into your home. Never feel like you must put on an elaborate meal for guests. Simply inviting someone over and offering them store bought cookies and a coke works well, too! Hospitality is all about making friends and family feel welcome in your home and spending time talking with them and making them feel special. From what I've read on your blog, you are just that kind of person- caring, kind, a good listener, one that easily converses with others!!!
I really enjoy your blog!
His,
Mrs. U
Good link, watch(wo)man. There is a lot of good stuff to read on that site.
Thank you so much, Mrs. U! What a kind thing to say; and it means so much coming from you, someone whom I have grown to respect and admire greatly even though we have never met.
I really enjoyed this post! I really like emulating woman that seems to "have it all together"... I know so many people with wonderful traits and qualities and I learn so much from them!
Emma
Just as I learn from you, Emma. Your writing has really been edifying.
Post a Comment